Hello Gorgeous Fashion Lovers!
Today, I thought that I would share some things that I have learned over the years. I am inquisitive, so I spend a lot of time reading, finding, and testing products until I find the ones that work best for me.
Other people may have their own lists of items that work the best for them.
Be careful and thoughtful when caring for your items.
"Use of these suggestions is
AT YOUR OWN RISK."
I will update this post over time.
*For this particular article, I am referring to the classic Louis Vuitton Monogram Canvas styles with untreated leather handles. The hardware and Monogram canvas care, may also apply to coated canvas items made by Gucci, Celine, Bally, ect. Use your own best judgement when trying any of these methods*.
Unfinished Leather Care
- Always condition first. You would be surprised at the amount of dirt conditioning alone removes. I prefer Cadillac Boot and Shoe Care. Usually, it does does not darken leather. On a side note, your leather will be darker upon application, and lighten as it dries.
- Unscented alcohol free baby wipes
Be sure you know the difference between “patina” and “dirt” before attempting to use a Magic eraser. Do not use these if your leather is a light color, an even honey tone, or dry. These should only ever be used on very dirty (almost black from dirt) leather that is well hydrated. If using a Magic Eraser, a light touch, lots of time, and patience is highly recommended.
- It is a great idea to protect your handles with a twilly, scarf, handkerchief, or even specially made handle covers.
Any Brass Cleaner and polish will do the trick. However, I personally prefer Wright's Brass Polish.
- For removable brass items such as locks, keys, and chains. First, use dish soap, water, and a toothbrush. Dry throroughly after cleaning. This alone may do the trick.
Other things to try: Ketchup, Citrus Juice, Blue Magic, Tarn-X, Noxon 7, Brasso, Mineral oil.
Be sure to wipe down your hardware with a dry clean cloth, often. Tarnish can stain your leather.
Storage: Remove the lock and key, wrap in tissue paper and put it in the pocket. Unbuckle any buckles, wrap the brass ends in tissue, store your removable straps inside of the bag.
- Note: It is important to read the manufacturers instructions on any product. Make sure it is safe for plated/coated hardware. Harsh acid containing products can take the finish off of the plated hardware on many of the newer bag styles.
Skidmore's Restoration Cream: I love how it shines up the canvas. It also cleans zippers and helps them get back to moving freely.
- Clean your canvas with alcohol free, unscented baby wipes. A damp cloth with gentle soap will also work. Be extremely gentle with Multicolor Canvas.
Other things to try: Olive or Coconut Oil, Beeswax, Leather Conditioner on the canvas.